The implementation of information security measures supporting the GDPR has to be done in the next year. Also, the overall co-operation on the IT security topics would benefit many member organizations since the change in threat landscape requires more proactive and advanced countermeasures.
One of the tracks at the EUNIS Annual Congress is devoted to ICT infrastructure & Security. InfoSec Task Force aims to continue this theme by working with some of the most interesting topics with IT security professionals from member organizations.
Purpose and Objectives
The objectives of the InfoSec Task Force are to
- discuss the higher education information security and privacy challenges and present and share ways of solving those challenges
- share knowledge on topical information security threats, countermeasures as well as technical solutions
- support GDPR implementation on the information security side
- follow up on the threat landscape as well as the development of new privacy legislation
- build a network of higher education information security and Data Protection professionals
The Task Force aims to present a forum for information security professionals as well as data protection experts in order to build a strong network – one that both sides of expertise can find beneficial.
Current and future Activities
As a start of the InfoSec Task Force a workshop on Data Protection and IT Security was organized in Berlin, in April 2017. We reached around thirty IT Security and Data Protection professionals around Europe and presented high-level speakers about GDPR. Also as a background work a presentation on The Threat Landscape in Academic IT From an IT Security Professional’s Point of View was given by Kenneth Kahri at the EUNIS 2017 Congress. The next steps are to gather the members for the Task Force and building a plan for the following year. Among the activities a follow-up workshop was held on 12th December 2017 in Lisbon, Portugal. It was focused on the theme of GDPR in higher education and practical measures for implementation.
Register for the upcoming EUNIS GDPR and Information Security workshop that will be held at Brunel University, London, UK on 10th-11th December 2018. More information here.
If you would like to be involved into the activities of the Information Security group, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.