Dundee, a friendly, safe and affordable city, rests on the spectacular estuary of the River Tay on Scotland’s east coast. It is the fourth largest city in Scotland and takes pride in its two universities. The city is a hub for life sciences research, computer games and digital media, arts, business, education, hi-tech manufacturing, telecommunications and tourism.
Dundee’s cultural renaissance is progressing hand-in-hand with its economic and social regeneration. With a population of just under 150,000, the City of Discovery has punched well above its weight in reinventing itself as a city renowned for its energy, expertise and entrepreneurialism. Its reputation for excellence in fields as diverse as the life sciences and creative industries is spreading nationally and internationally, and the city is moving into a new phase of development.
As an educational centre, Dundee has one of the highest proportions of students to total population of any city in the UK, and this energy brings a whole new dimension to the city’s nightlife, leisure and cultural facilities.
Dundee’s transformation and growing sense of confidence is perhaps best symbolised by the £1 billion (€1.2 billion) Waterfront Transformation Project. This is a massive 30-year project to reconnect the city with the sea, bringing major investment in the form of new hotels, retail, commercial and residential developments. At the heart of the vision is the plan to create the V&A Museum of Design Dundee – the first-ever outstation of London’s world-famous V&A Museum. Dundee is very much a city on the rise.
Here are 10 reasons why Dundee and its surrounding region, Angus, is the perfect venue for EUNIS 2015:
- At the forefront of academic excellence and famed for pioneering accomplishments.
- Ideally located, just 90 minutes away from 90% of the Scottish population.
- Home to one of the largest research communities in Europe.
- Offering a range of meetings venues able to accommodate meetings of up to 2,000 delegates.
- A choice of accommodation, with over 1,000 rooms within a five-mile radius of the city centre, from budget hotels and student accommodation to four-star hotels.
- Over 30 golf courses in Dundee and Angus, offering the perfect opportunity for relaxing after a conference.
- A wealth of attractions and facilities available for social dinners, receptions, tours and much more.
- Major developments taking place at Dundee’s waterfront will transform the city into a world-leading waterfront destination.
- The beautiful countryside of Angus offers peace and quiet from busy city life.
- Dundee is the sunniest city in Scotland, with an average of 1,523 hours of sunshine per year.
Dundee was recently awarded the UNESCO City of Design.
The city has been recognised by Unesco for its diverse contributions to fields including medical research, comics and video games. The title recognises the design innovations Dundee has contributed to the world, including aspirin, biomedical research which has led to hundreds of new cancer drugs, comics including the Beano and Dandy, orange marmalade, and video games including Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto.